Advantages of Abstinence
When I say no to sex now I am saying that I value myself and know what is best for my future…
This is my life – I believe in myself and know I can make decisions that are good for me.
- I’m not going to worry about what my friends think or may be doing. I’m the only person who has to live with the consequences of my decisions… I’m going to do what is right for me.
- I know everyone is not having sex, even if some people think they need to brag about it that doesn’t mean they are doing it.
- No one has the right to pressure me into having sex when I don’t want to.
I don’t need to have sex to feel loved.
- I can feel and show love in other ways.
- Having sex won’t prove I’m gorgeous, sexy or popular.
- Having sex may add pressures to a relationship that I don’t want to deal with.
- I know my personal values and I’m going to stick with them – I want to be proud of me.
I’m not ready to become a Mom or a Dad.
- I know that no form of birth control is 100 % effective. Waiting to have sex is the only sure way to avoid becoming pregnant.
- I know girls can get pregnant if they have sex before their first period, the first time they have sex or even if they use birth control.
- Many teen parents live in poverty, I want a better future than that.
- I am not ready to accept the responsibilities of raising a child.
I care about my body.
- Having sex means I’d risk becoming infected with a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
- I know some STDs, such as herpes, and HIV, cannot be cured – I could be infected for the rest of my life.
- I can’t tell by looking at someone if they have an STD – they might not know either.
- Saying no to sexual pressure puts me in control of my life, health and future.
I’ve got plans for my future.
- I’m smart enough to know that what I decide today will affect my future.
- I’m going to take the time to know myself better
- I’m not going to rush into sex – first I want to learn about relationships and how to be in love.
- Waiting will give me a chance to figure out what I want for myself and my future.
- Saying no to sex now is saying yes to life and all the future holds.
Choosing abstinence gives you freedom.
- Freedom from out of wedlock pregnancy
- Freedom from sexually transmitted diseases
- Freedom from the bother and dangers of pill, IUD, and other contraceptives
- Freedom from the pressure to marry before you’re ready
- Freedom from abortion
- Freedom from the trauma of having to give your baby up for adoption
- Freedom from exploitation of others
- Freedom from guilt, doubt, disappointment, worry, and rejection
- Freedom to be in control of your life
- Freedom to experience fuller communication in relationships
- Freedom to focus energy on establishing and realizing life goals
- Freedom to develop respect for self
- Freedom to develop unselfish sensitivity
- Freedom to have greater trust in marriage
- Freedom to enjoy being a teenager, young person, and a healthy citizen